Speech Therapy focuses on oral motor skills needed as a foundational skill for intelligible speech production and safe chewing and swallowing. Speech therapists also work to improve rib cage mobility and core strength for need breath control and support for speech and language skills.
Speech therapy will address the following:
- Oral motor coordination
- Oral motor strength
- Sensory integration of oral/facial area
- Sensory stimulation of oral/facial area
- Core strength and postural control as a basis for respiration and phonation
- Auditory processing strategies
- Language processing disorders
Speech pathologists have their Certificate of Clinical Competence and teaching certificate.
Therapists often use a sensory integration approach to therapy to meet the individual needs of the child.